Shangxiahang Historical and Cultural District locates in Taijiang District. The Shanghang Road, Xiahang Road and their neighborhoods are commonly known as Shuanghang District or Double Hang District, or Shangxiahang. It used to be the commercial center and shipping terminal of Fuzhou in the early years. It is also the best avenue to taste the traditional gourmet food in Fuzhou.
These places have witnessed the commercial development of Fuzhou, where foreign markets and business groups gathered and numerous high-end restaurants stood. It is an important place for folklore and historians to learn about Fuzhou.
Ancient guild halls at Shangxiahang Historical and Cultural District
Gutian Guild Hall was built by the merchants from Gutian County, in 1915. It has the functions of accommodation, storage, transportation and communication. The guild hall sits to the south, with the red walls surrounded, covering an area of 690 square meters. There is an opera house, bell tower, drum towers, well, and various halls here. The main hall is supported by 20 cobblestone columns, with carved beams and exquisite decorations. Gutian Guild Hall has unique local construction features with important art and historic values. It is the precious cultural relics for studying the modern architecture in Fujian Province. In September 1996, it was identified as the Provincial Key Cultural Relics Protection Unit.
Yongde Guild Hall has the long history. Yongde Guild Hall was built in the reign period of Qing Emperor Yongzheng and rebuilt in the late Qing Dynasty. It is a modern building that combines traditional Chinese architectural style with western architectural elements. It sits to the south, covering an area of 1,224 square meters, which is 36 meters wide from east to west. For a long time, Yongde Guild Hall has been used as a base of Fuzhou Yongde Chamber of Commerce, Chamber of Commerce, and Association of Township Associations. The existing Yongde Guild Hall building is well-preserved.
Jianning Guild Hall was built during reign period of Qing Emperor Jiaqing. Sitting to the south, it covers an area of 2,000 square meters. It was based on the mountain’s trend. There is the opera house, well and main hall. The back garden has the fish ponds, rockery, flower beds, stone chairs and tables, where the environment is quiet and elegant. The Wenchang Pavilion in the garden was originally used as the study building. The double-layered pavilion is octagonal in shape, 5 meters in diameter, with many wooden sculptures. It has the typical Ming and Qing architectural styles.
Minqing Guild Hall was built in 1867 of Qing Dynasty. It was donated by the overseas Chinese from Minqing County. The building faces to the east, covering an area of 540 square meters. It is the typical Qing Dynasty building, which has elegant and antique decorations.