Qiongtai Academy is located on Wenzhuang Road, Qiongshan District of Haikou City. It was initially built in 1705, in memory of Qiu Jun, a famous scholar in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). The academy was named so because Qiu Jun was called 'Mr. Qiongtai'. At one time, the academy was the supreme institution of Qiongshan. It is now the site of the Qiongshan Teachers' Training School.
The main building of the academy is the 'Kuixing Lou Building'. 'Kuixing' was believed to be the god of examinations and the building was named after Kuixing to 'help' the students who trained here to win the imperial examinations. The building is a typical Chinese architecture with green tiles, red corridors, carved beams and painted rafters.
There was a famous story occurred here.In the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), a student of the academy fell in love with a maid of local governor. At that time, young people did not have the right to choose their husband or wife. So the governor was very angry after he found out the relationship. The maid escaped and ran into the academy before the governor punished her. The governor wanted to search the academy, but the schoolmaster Xie Bao denied his request and sent the maid out of the city during the night. Finally, the maid and the student married and lived happily together. Later the student succeeded in the imperial examinations.
Location: Wenzhuang Road, Fucheng County of Qiongshan District
Opening Time: 08:00am - 17:30pm
Ticket: 5 RMB
Transportation: Take bus route 1, 4, 42, 49 to Teachers Training College Station