The Tomb of Hai Rui, built in 1589, the 17th year of the Ming Dynasty, is a key national cultural protection site in Haikou, rests at Binya Village, Haikou. Hai Rui was a compassionate and upright official of Hainan who lived during the Ming Dynasty. He was called “Lord Bao of the South”. (Lord Bao is the revered name of Bao Zheng, an official of the Song Dynasty who was famous for his honesty in performing official duties, justice in enforcing the law, and bravery in defying influential officials). He was famous for his lifelong honesty and his willingness to speak out on behalf of local people. In his later life, Hai Rui no longer had the trust of emperor and was persecuted. His admirers built the Hai Rui Tomb after his death to commemorate his great works.
In front of the main gate of the Tomb of Hai Rui stands a high memorial archway inscribed with four characters, “Righteousness in Eastern Guangdong (Yue Dong Zheng Qi)”. The 100-plus-meter-long passage to the grave is exclusively paved with white marble.
Three more archways stand over the passage, and on both sides of it are stone sculptures of sheep, horses, lions, tortoises and human figures guarding the grave. With a dome-like top, the grave is built on a hexagon base in front of which stands a four-meter-high stone tablet. The inscription of the tablet was written by Xu Ziwei who supervised the tomb’s construction. Exuberant pines, cypresses, bamboo and coconut trees shield the cemetery all year around. And the exhibition room helps the tourists to understand this outstanding official in Chinese history.
Location: Binya Village, Xiuying District
Opening Time: 8:00am – 18:00pm
Ticket: 10 RMB
Transportation: Bus No.2, 16, 19