The Eastern Zhou Dynasty Emperor Carriage Museum Luoyang is located in the northeast of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty Imperial City Relics. The museum is built based on the royal six-horse and chariot pits of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty (770-256 BC). It was firstly discovered in Luoyang in 2002.
In 770 BC, the first king of the Eastern Zhou Dynasty moves the capital city from Xi’an to Luoyang which moves eastward. Thus the Zhou Dynasty was divided into two periods Western Zhou Dynasty and Eastern Zhou Dynasty to distinguish. Now the Imperial City Square is newly constructed for the public to visit based on the Eastern Zhou Dynasty Relics in Luoyang.
With an area of 1700 square meters, the museum has two exhibition halls. The first hall displays the introduction of the Eastern Zhou Imperial City, new discoveries of the Emperor Mausoleum, and some precious antiques of the same period. The second hall exhibits two chariot pits from the 17 ones excavated from 2002 to 2003. The north one is on a large scale with the horses and vehicle vertically displaying in two rows.
The most noticeable one shall be the other called “Driving Six.” In the past, the ancient books described that the royal coachman drove six-horse chariot for the emperor to show the king’s highest status. Historians found no evidence to support the word on the historical materials until this royal horse and chariot pit was unearthed in Luoyang. It is the world’s only site to demonstrate the carriage fleet of the emperor nearly 3000 years ago. The shaft and frame of the carriage, as well as the horses' skeleton, are presented clearly.