Home>FAQ>Other Useful Tips for China Travel
China Travel Info & Tips

Other Useful Tips for China Travel

  • Who should I contact if any emergency happens?

    Please contact your tour operator soon if any emergency happens, and we will try our best to help solve the problem.

  • Can I use my mobile phone in China? Can I buy SIM card in China? Can I rent a mobile phone in China?

    Enjoy GSM networks provide coverage in every major city. GSM 1800 and 900 networks cover a few biggest cities. CDMA network run by China Unicom is improving its coverage; it has signed agreements with 13 other mobile operators from North America, South America and the Asia-Pacific region, with networks covering 60 per cent of global CDMA subscribers. So roaming with a dual band or tri band handset or use of COSMOTE card alike will make your phone work in China.

    It is possible to buy GSM SIM card in China. Shenzhouxing, issued by China Mobile and Ruyitong, issued by China Unicom are recommended for foreign travelers in China, since they require no Chinese resident document. A SIM card costs CNY100.00. Prepaid charging card in amount of CNY50.00 and CNY100.00 are available in post offices, stores and newsstands. , are easy to use with bilingual prompt. If the balance of your card is in shortage, the system will ask you to deposit more money to your card when you make phone calls.

    In China, operators charge both incoming and outgoing calls. A non-roaming subscriber of Shenzhouxing needs to pay CNY0.60/M for a local call, CNY0.60/M plus CNY0.07/6 seconds for a long distance call, CNY0.60/M plus CNY0.80/6 seconds for an international call and CNY0.60/M plus CNY0.20/6 seconds for a call to Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Receiving an incoming call costs CNY0.60/M. A roaming subscriber within the country needs to pay CNY0.80/M for a local call, CNY0.80/M plus CNY0.07/6 seconds for a long distance call, CNY0.80/M plus CNY0.80/6 seconds for an international call and CNY0.80/M plus CNY0.20/6 seconds for a call to Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Receiving an incoming call costs CNY0.80/M plus CNY0.80/6 seconds. Ruyitong's rate is a little bit lower.

    Mobile phone rental service is hardly available in China at present.

  • Can I have postal service in China?

    Tourist hotels provide postal services. If you want to send important items such as antiques and cultural relics that are under customs control, you will have to ask for the help of the local branch of the international post office, instead of the small post office in a hotel.

    You can also send their postcards, letters and express mail to any place in the world via China Post, FedEx or China Air Express, etc. However, any form of publication (such as books, magazines and newspapers) and parcels must be sent from an authorized post office.

    Faxes can generally be sent from any hotel business center.

  • Where can I find restrooms in China?

    Travelers can find toilets very easy in many public places including star-rated toilets (managed by the Tourism Administration) at tourist attractions, office buildings, residential toilets (managed by local governments) on main streets and in hutongs (ally ways). In addition, large supermarkets, shopping centers, hotel lobbies, and coffee shops or cafes all generally offer ablution facilities.

  • What should I wear when I travel in China?

    China lies mainly in the temperate and subtropical zones. Generally, its southern part (East China, South China and Southwest china) is warm, humid, and rainy; its northern part (North China, Northeast China, and northwest China) is dry and windy.

    In spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) you will need a lined jacket or woolen sweater over light clothes. In summer (June to August) cool cotton garments are recommended. In winter (December to February) a light cotton-patted coat will keep you warm enough in the south; but in the north a heavy woolen coat or down parka is a must.

    Later spring and late summer are often rainy especially in the southern part of China, so you would be wise to bring some rainwear with you. And of course good walking shoes are essential at any time of year.

  • Is travel insurance necessary?

    Yes. It is strongly recommended that our clients purchase travel insurance before departure on a tour to guard against unforeseen circumstances.

    Most travel insurance companies offer Trip Cost Cancellation and Interruption Insurance, emergency medical transport and medical expenses insurance. These policies pay for loss due to unforeseen circumstances such as death, injury and illness. Travel policies also cover you for a variety of other risks, such as cancellation charges, loss of money, loss of baggage, and liability to third parties, to name a few. Although we do everything possible to ensure client security, if a mishap occurs, it can be very costly to you. By purchasing travel insurance you can relax, knowing that you can deal with problems that may arise. In addition, an annual travel policy may save you money if you plan to go abroad more than once in any twelve-month period.

  • How to contact my family when I travel in China?

    You can always use the hotel telephone. But be aware that it could be as expensive as US$3 per minute. On the Yangtze cruise ships; it could be $20 per minute as they are using satellite telephone.

    * Suggestions:
    Leave the phone numbers at home and ask them to call you;
    Send faxes from the business centers at the hotels and ships;
    Send emails from those business centers at the hotels and ships (note: you can not bring your own email account there as China’s ISPs and ICPs are independent).
    International Direct Dialing Service Codes & Time Difference of Some Countries and Regions

    Australia 61 +2:00 Austria 43 -7:00 Belgium 32 -7:00
    Myanmar 95 -1:30 Nepal 977 -2:30 Nether-lands 31 -7:00
    Canada 1 -13:00 Chile 56 -12:00 France 33 -8:00
    Germany 49/37 -7:00 Switzerland 41 -7:00 Hong Kong 852 0
    U.K. 44 -8:00 Italy 39 -7:00 U.S.A. 1 -13:00

  • Can I use my electric appliances in China?

    Yes, you can. And keep in mind that bringing your electrical multi adaptor along is a must.

  • What are the office hours in China?

    In China, standard working office hours are usually from 8am to 5pm. Major malls are generally open from 8:30am or 9:00am and close around 9:30pm during winter,and sometimes even later in summer. Shops in Guangzhou generally close a little later still, and it is common for customers to do their shopping after 10:00pm. Restaurants are from morning till 22:00pm and the clubs & bars are open to clients until midnight at 02:00am. Small stores often open a little earlier and close a little later. Some convenience small stores are 24 hours for service. All public service and stores are without holidays off. The office hours in Tibet and west board are different from China main proper: it generally starts and finishes about 2 to 3 hours later.

  • What is the situation of power supply on China?

    China uses 220-volt power supply for standard domestic and business purposes. Hotels generally provide wall sockets in every bathroom for razors and hair dryers, accommodating both “straight two-pin plugs,” and “triangular 3-pins plugs.” It is suggested that you should bring along a 220-110 adapter.

  • Can I take taxi in China?

    China enjoys adequate taxi service. In most cities, the taxi tends to be a small local-made car painted in either red or yellow. In large cities, there are luxurious sedans at a higher rate. Taxi fares vary from city to city but they are always clearly marked on the taxi window.

    Most taxi drivers do not understand much English, although those in tourist cities are encouraged to learn and speak some simple English. Non-Chinese speaking visitors are advised to have their destinations written down in Chinese and show the address to the cab driver. And if you depart from the hotel, the hotel front desk will help you write it down both in Chinese and English. by a written paper in both English and Chinese?

    We highly recommend you to take a taxi from the hotel (because hotels will records down all taxi license number). If you take a taxi from the airport, please take a taxi from the taxi station. Do not follow the unauthorized strangers even they try to friendly offer you a convenience. You should remember its license number, take an official printed receipt and bring all your belongings with you. Do not leave something behind of you or get your stuff missing missed on the taxi.

  • What days are the workdays in China? What about opening and closing hours of shops and stores ?

    Five days a week, 8 hours a day, normally from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. All the government offices, institutions, schools, hospitals and other units do not work on Saturdays and Sundays. The emergency clinic is open when the hospital is closed. Shops are open every day, normally from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. In big cities, stores close late. In summer stores close later than in winter.