Tunxi Ancient Street lies in the center of Tunxi district, where the municipality of Huangshan is seated. Starting in the west from Zhenhai Bridge, a stone arch bridge crossing the river which was built in Ming dynasty, and ending up in the east with the tablet of memorial archways, it added up to 1273 meters long. Being well preserved, there are shops row upon row. It is a commercial street only for pedestrians, with the building style of Ming and Qing dynasties, having the reputation of moving “Picture of the River on the Festival of Brightness ".
Set up in Song dynasty, Tunxi Ancient Street, became a distribution center for goods and materials to Huizhou during Ming and Qing dynasties. With shops, it looks densely and compactly. The shops, workshops and residences form an organic whole, keeping the characteristic and operation layout of ancient store such as "front shop and back workshop" or "front shop and back house". The building is only 3-stoery-high, usually of tenon structure, stones based, bricks laid, wall built like a horse's head, small green tiles, wood carvings of Hui style, ancient shop signs, red-lacquered building with double-eaved roofs. They are simple, magnificent and clean. The pavement is 5 to 8 meters wide, laid by red flagstones of large size. With clear grain after a rain, it is as clean as a picture. Walking on this street, there is no noise and no disturbance, free and natural far, far away. It seems to be back in the ancient times, triggering off fantastic reveries.