Lin Fung Temple sits at the north end of Mong Ha Hill on Avenida do Almirante Lacerda in Macau, which was built in 1592 during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), and also known as Tianfei Temple, or Cihu Palace in history. It is regarded as one of the three most famous temples in Macau, together with A-Ma Temple and Kun lam Temple.
Lin Fung Temple in history
During its history of over 400 years, Lin Fung Temple was repaired many times. In 1723 during the reign period of Emperor Yongzheng, it was expanded and named as Cihu Palace. After the rebuilt work in 1876 during the Qing Dynasty, the temple has been known as today’s Lin Fung Temple. Later, Lin Fung Temple was used as a business office, and as a residence of officials.
The national hero, Lin Zexu (1785-1850) once arrived at Lin Fung Temple. In 1839 during the Qing Dynasty, Lin Zexu, the Governor of Guangdong and Guangxi provinces at that time, had an inspection in Macau of a ban on opium-smoking and the opium trade. He stayed in the temple and interviewed the officials of Portugal and Macau. In memory of Lin Zexu, people built a stone statue of him, which is three meters in height. In November, 1997, the Memorial Hall of Lin Zexu was established next to Tianhou Palace in the temple, to praise his bravery and nobility.
Lin Fung Temple’s construction
Lin Fung Temple includes a cluster of palaces. The center of the complex, Tianhou Palace is dedicated to Heavenly Queen. The Emperor Wu Palace locates to the left, and Renshou Palace locates to the right of Tianhou Palace. Yiling Palace, Shennong Palace, Juyong Palace, and Doumu Palace are also parts of the temple. The temple together worships different kinds of God and Buddha, such as Avalokitesvara, Shennong, Guan Gong and even the status of people. This is a phenomenon that only exists in Macau, which is also the best embodiment of Macau's cultural tolerance.
In front of Lin Fung Temple, there is a grand square surrounded by stone enclosures and ancient trees. Behind the square, there is a small ornamental garden. Inside the temple, there is a lotus pond, where is flourished with fragrant lotus in summer. Behind the lotus pond is a screen decorated with writhing dragons and giant carps.