Pingyao Overviewmore>>

Located in the central part of Shanxi province, Pingyao is a cultural city with a history of over 2,700 years. It lies about 715 km from Beijing and 80 km from the provincial capital, Taiyuan. During the Qing Dynasty, Pingyao was a financial center of China. It is now renowned for its well-preserved ancient city wall, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.    The Ancient City of Pingyao is well-preserved traditional counties as well as an outstanding example of a Han city of the Ming and Qing dynasties (1368-1911). It provides an extraordinary complete picture of cultural, social, economic,...

Pingyao Transportationmore>>

Air    Pingyao has no airport. The closest major city and by extension - airport, is Taiyuan. From Taiyuan it takes approximately two hours by train, bus, or even taxi, to Pingyao.    Railway    The train station in Pingyao is located about a 5-10 minute walk away from the West Gate of the Old Town. Pingyao is easily accessible from Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Chongqing and Taiyuan. The trains from the south (e.g. Guangzhou) are making 2 minute stops in Pingyao. Check details for each train not to miss the station.    Road    Buses run from Xi'an and takes 6 hours. Regular Minibus...

Pingyao Attractions

Ancient City of Pingyao

The Ancient City of Pingyao is well-preserved traditional counties as well as an outstanding example of a Han city of the Ming and Qing dynasties. The streets and storefronts still largely retain their historical appearance.

Qiao Family Courtyard

The Qiao Family Courtyard was an old Chinese residential courtyard that thrived for over two centuries. It is greatly admired as a very special artistic treasure and is one of the ten best attractions in Shanxi Province.

Chang Family Compound

Chang Family Compound is a splendid group of constructions of northern folk houses in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), and at the same time, it is the largest one in scale among so many compounds of Shanxi merchants.

Wang Family Courtyard

Wang Family Courtyard is a masterpiece of Chinese civil residence architecture of the Qing Dynasty. Covering a total area of 150,000 square meters, it is a luxurious residence built during 1762-1811 by the descendants of the Wang Family.