Shouhuang Palace in Jingshan Park opened to the public on November 22nd after four years’ planning and renovation. Situated at the northeast of Jingshan Park, Shouhuang Palace was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), which became one of the important buildings along the central axis of Beijing.
Shouhuang Palace covers a total area of 21,256 square meters and the construction area is 3,797.68 square meters. It is the second largest palace complex along the central axis following the Forbidden City. The complex consists of two inner and outer courtyards, and it was modeled after the Imperial Ancestral Temple.
During the Ming and Qing dynasties (1368-1911), Shouhuang Palace was a dedicated place for worshipping the ancestors of royal families, which embodies rich cultures, such as the Chinese nation’s sacrificial culture and the imperial ritual music and filial piety cultures. On January 1st, 1956, Beijing Children’s Palace was inaugurated at Shouhuang Palace. But in order to protect the ancient cultural relics, Shouhuang Palace complex was returned to Jingshan Park on December 31st, 2013.