Yin Ruins was discovered in 1899, in Xiao Tun Village of Anyang City, Henan Province. Villagers found many tortoise shells and bones carved with letters and symbols, which unveiled to the world Yin Ruins, an ancient city with a long history and splendid culture. Since then this place has become of great interest to worldwide archeologists, because those inscriptions have proved to be the earliest written characters of human beings, the Oracles.
About 3,300 years ago, an emperor of the Shang Dynasty (16th - 11th century BC) moved his capital city to Yin, which is today's Anyang city, and since then Yin has been the capital city for more than 250 years. Today Yin Ruins has proved to be the earliest remains of an ancient capital city in written record.
Covering a grand area of 24 square kilometers, Yin Ruins is composed of palaces district, civil residences district, tombs district and workshops district, which is divided into two parts by the Heng River in the city. This rational layout clearly shows people a powerful country and a well-equipped ancient city.
Opening hours: Apr. - Sep.: 8:00 - 18:30; Oct. - Mar.: 8:00 - 17:30
Recommended visit time: 2-3 hours.
Location: Wuguan Village, Anyang District, Zhengzhou City, Henan Province
Transportation: 1. Take Bus Y6 to Yin Xu Bo Wu Yuan.
2. Take Bus 15, 18 or 59 to Yin Du Qiao and then walk northwest for 15 minutes to get there.