Why is Wang Family Courtyard special?
Situated at Jingsheng Town of Lingshi County, Wang Family Courtyard is a masterpiece of Chinese civil residence architecture of the Qing Dynasty. Covering a total area of 150,000 square meters, it is a luxurious residence built during 1762-1811 by the descendants of the Wang Family.
Wang Family Courtyard highlights
The magnificent scale
The architecture of the courtyard has a magnificent scale with five alleys, five forts, and five ancestral temples. Besides, the courtyard layout of the five ancient forts was respectively compared to designs of five lucky animals of "dragon, phoenix, tortoise, kylin and tiger".
East Courtyard, informally called Gaojia Ya. It is a cluster of courtyards, each with its own kitchen yard and private school yard. In the middle sector are two main courtyards and Beiwei Yard. In front of the main yards is a long alleyway. To the northeast is a small side-yard while in the southwest there is a large side-yard.
The West Courtyard is informally called Hongmen Bao. Hongmen Bao means Red Gate Castle, taking its name from the only red gate facing the main street. The castle is 105 meters wide and 180 meters long, presenting in the shape of a regular rectangle. The main street divides the whole courtyard into two main areas. Three alleys of west-east direction cross with the main street, thus presenting the Chinese character 'Wang'.
The painting and calligraphy hall
The Painting and Calligraphy Hall displays hundreds of excellent works while Treasure Hall contains collections of furnishings, old coins, porcelains, rare stones and jade carvings. Both displays are open to the public.